Cops in Wisconsin pull dog from frozen water while pinned on ice in first-person Facebook post

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

A Wisconsin police officer who took to Facebook to announce he and his partner risked their lives rescuing a stranded dog was blasted for taking the rescue in a “Disney movie” manner.

Ciera Palm was fishing when she saw something she thought was a dog with no collar or tags in a muddy area along a canal in Manitowoc. The dog was herding small children near the water’s edge, giving Palm a false sense of security, she told WITI.

The 12-year-old clung to the shoreline for almost two hours on an ice-cold Wednesday night, even after a man in a cap and a backpack warned that the water was quite cold.

When she saw the Marine veteran her eyes “pricked up,” she said.

“It was like a super twister or tornado hit,” Palm said.

Patrol officer Peter Coons was nearby on foot when he saw the dog. Coons and another officer raced to the scene along with a third dog. They then climbed onto a raft and began pulling the dog to safety.

Determined to give the dog a good night, Coons in one video video says the dog was frozen to his collar and body, and that his feet were pinned by a load of ice, so he used a sled to put a larger line between him and the dog.

During the rescue, Coons removed a rock to clear a path, and the dog seemed fine after a while.

The dog has not been identified, nor have Coons and his partner, who have been praised for their behavior. But Coons took to Facebook to express his gratitude in the exact way he knew best: with action.

“We ditched the raft he was on and went down a small stream to a hill,” Coons told WITI. “We called 911 and got a bigger line from a boat to get to the boat.”

“I was just glad he was okay,” Coons said of the dog. “I didn’t really care if he stayed alive or not.”

Panic ensued on social media as the tale made headlines. Coons said he has been “under fire” since sharing it on Facebook on Thursday.

But the vet and city officials said the dog was fine and ultimately thanked him for his efforts.

Coons said he and his partner worked an 18-hour shift as response officers but are sharing their story in a big way because they care.

Leave a Comment